Government Relations Committee
March 9, 2012
7:30 a.m. @ The Chamber
Present: Christi Garcia, Jan Peat, Glenn Pace, Kai Lai, Greg Gallup, Georgia Trefts, William Faus, Jim Hoey, Jane Howard, Gregg Giusiana, Rachel Gibson, Don Dey, Tom Haglund, and Susan Valenta
- 1. Opening Remarks/Introductions: Christi Garcia opened the meeting.
- 2. Approval of the minutes of January 13, 2012.
- The minutes of the January 13, 2012 meeting were accepted. MSC.
- 3. High Speed Rail, City of Gilroy
- The process and final determination by City Council at their February 27 study session to select the downtown alignment was presented by Don Dey, Traffic Engineer for the City of Gilroy. A copy of the Power Point presentation is available on www.gilroy.org/blog under Government Affairs.
- 4. Tobacco Grant Project, Susan Valenta, Gilroy Chamber
- Susan provided a recap of activities related to the proposed draft Tobacco Ordinance and the results of the March 5 study session. Council did not direct staff to draft a ordinance for local retailers selling tobacco products; however, certain restrictions in public parks will be recommended.
- 5. Gilroy Business PAC
- Gregg reported that GILPAC has completed its initial requirements and is ready to begin its operation. Bylaws have been adopted, tax identification has been established, an accounting firm has been selected, participants on the GILPAC Board established, and a checking account has been opened.
- 6. Community Development Updates
- Tom Haglund reported on activities related to the Cherry Orchard development as it applies to residential development east of 101 and the process of a newly-certified housing element. The City continues to work on the Development Standards Task Force, Habitat Conservation Plan, Climate Action Plan, High Speed Rail, and the upcoming General Plan update process.
- 7. Economic Development Updates
- No report.
- 8. Gilroy Welcome Center
- Jane Howard reported that the Gilroy Visitors Bureau/Gilroy Welcome Center has increased traffic from the 2011 numbers; February received 2,056 visits in 2012 compared to 200 in 2011. Transit Occupancy Tax in 2011 is 13% higher than 2010. Partnerships have been maximized: Bay Area Travel Show will partner with the wineries of Santa Clara Valley; Gilroy Gardens will partner on an ad in the California Roadtrip magazine; and Christopher Ranch will partner on the Guide to Garlic. The new Welcome Center website will launch on March 17. Based on a recent quarterly meeting with the Gilroy Premium Outlet Center tenants, there has been a 30% increase in tour buses. The Center is also going to form a focus group to project affects of gasoline costs on travel and business.
- 9. Inquiries from GRC regarding the following:
- Gilroy Police Department – No report.
- School Board – Kai Lai reported on the reaction of the unions on the GUSD decision of status quo on teacher staffing.
- Gavilan College – Tim Day provided a written report: Expenditures for the last six months were reviewed and accepted. Performance Audit for 6/30/12 was reviewed and accepted; financial statement for 6/30/12 was reviewed and accepted. Next meeting is scheduled for September 10, 2012.
- SCVWD – Rachel reported that on March 27 the SCVWD Board will look at the Clean, Safe Creek plan. A decision to place this projected parcel tax on the ballot will not be decided until July.
- Santa Clara County – Elizabeth Stanford provided a written report: Elizabeth attended the National Association of County’s Conference in Washington, D.C. on behalf of Supervisor Wasserman. She met with four members of Congress including Congressman Sam Farr, who now represents half of Gilroy. Supervisor Wasserman added federal support for Agri-business and Agri-tourism to the County’s federal legislative policies for the year, and Elizabeth spoke to these points in the meetings.
10. Other discussion
The GRC requested that the SCVWD be the featured presenter on April 13.
11. Adjournment: There being no further business to come before the GRC, the meeting was adjourned at 9:05 a.m.
Susan Valenta, President/C.E.O.
Gilroy Chamber of Commerce