LET’S DEVELOP A PLAN
The Gilroy Chamber of Commerce and Visit Gilroy have partnered to come up with a plan to assist with reopening when the Shelter in Place is lifted.
- Make a list of your current business processes and procedures that will require modification before opening (back to a new normal) and create a written plan of action for each. Several points for the plan should be referenced in advertising efforts to show you are serious about customer and employee safety. Call it your COVID-19 Safety Plan, Back to Business Plan, or something similar, then review and revise as necessary.
- Create a project punch list that includes new protocols, safety procedures, social distancing, and marketing.
- Discuss these with your staff members to ensure every point is understood.
BACK TO BUSINESS
PLAN ON PHYSICALLY DISTANCING
By now, you have been to a store that has placed stickers on the floor indicating where to stand, signs limiting occupancy, doors marked enter and exit, one way direction up and down aisles, and even plexiglass shields in front of checkout counters. You should consider similar procedures. Start gathering necessary supplies and signage to accommodate your COVID-19 Back to Business Plan.
PLAN FOR CUSTOMER INTERACTION
How can you make it easier for your clients to schedule appointments online for your services?
- Review your inventory of business supplies and add relevant items in anticipation of changes (based on your plan). For example, will hand sanitizer and hand cleaning stations be needed or expected by your customers?
- Consider whether you need to rearrange your store, checkout location(s), seating, foot traffic patterns, restroom policies, dressing rooms, etc., as you prepare to keep staff, consumers and yourself safe.
- Curbside pickup locations should be clearly marked, fast, and accessible. Even though your doors may be open for traffic, people may still be cautious and will appreciate these conveniences.
- Create professional-looking flyers and signs NOW! There are many options, both professional or self-made, and your Gilroy Chamber team can help you find easy, quick solutions.
PLAN TO CREATE A NEW CLEANING SCHEDULE
Consumers will not only notice but will expect your store to be clean, organized and safe to enter. Revise your cleaning/sanitation plan and have all the necessary items needed to ensure the ongoing safety of everyone who enters your business. Create a formal cleaning/sanitation schedule and add it to your daily calendar and make sure your staff is fully aware and able to comply with the new procedures. Include inspection times and checklists for quality control.
- Keep cleaning supplies visible to your clients and customers. Have a goal of always smelling fresh and recently cleaned.
- Provide easily accessible disinfectant wipes.
- Consider having a professional company do a regularly scheduled deep bacterial cleaning. The Gilroy Chamber can connect you with local professionals.
- Post your cleaning plan so that it is visible for everyone who enters to see the steps you are taking to ensure safety.
PLAN TO ADVERTISE YOUR PLAN WITH VISIT GILROY
As businesses begin to reopen, consumers will look for companies sharing their COVID-19 Back to Business safety plan. Big franchises, as well as other small businesses that have remained open, have executed this very well, and for some time. It has increased their revenue. When you begin to advertise that you are open again, follow it up with your plan and protocols. Consumers will take notice and have peace of mind that they are entering a safe environment.
- Update your website, all social media accounts and any other advertising channels, so that your COVID-19 Back to Business plan is easily found.
- Make videos showcasing your COVID-19 Back to Business Plan in action and forward to firstname.lastname@example.org for inclusion in the “Support Gilroy” campaign.
- Have flyers or other handouts listing items available for delivery or curbside pickup and forward to email@example.com for inclusion in the “Support Gilroy” campaign.
- Ask customers for online reviews and let them know how much you appreciate them mentioning your business.
- Have fun with the process. Show pictures of you and/or you and your staff cleaning, smiling and happy to be open again. Send any pictures or promotions you are doing to firstname.lastname@example.org to be shared through social media posts by Visit Gilroy and the Gilroy Chamber.
- Plan a GRAND REOPENING event and make it fun! Send a link to the event for posting on social media. Send the link to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org so Visit Gilroy and the Gilroy Chamber can share it too!
PLAN TO RESPECT THE PROCESS
The process of reopening will continuously be revised as our leaders evaluate the current environment. Many people are ready for “business as usual” but many others will remain cautious for quite some time. If you design your plan for those who are cautious, all consumers will respect and appreciate your new procedures. The lack of a COVID-19 Back to Business Safety Plan will undoubtedly cause a loss of some consumers. The faster we adhere to safety protocols, the quicker we will get back to business as usual.